Sunday, March 12, 2006

Little Goose Dam

My wanderings took me West out of Colfax today.

I followed highway 26 to Washtucna, WA (a small town that didn't even show up on the atlas I had with me).

Out of Washtucna, I went South on highway 261 / 263. The land here went from sage covered plains to some interesting lava canyons. Some sort of critter, a badger or wolverine wobbled across the road; I was too slow getting my camera out though.

Where the highway met the Snake River, I found a huge railroad bridge. My body was a bit tired so I stopped for some photos.

I followed a turn off to Little Goose Dam and Lock. There were people catching steelhead outside the dam. I went inside to the fish observation room, which shows the fish ladder below the water level, but didn't see anything today.

Back on the highway, I went through the towns of Starbuck and Pomeroy before reaching Clarkston. By then I was frozen (again) so I stopped for a burger and fries at the 410 Drive-in.

No comments: