Thursday, March 30, 2006

EX500 mirror extenders

I ordered a pair of mirror extenders for my ninja 500 a few weeks ago, and they arrived today. The slowness in shipping is due to the fact that they are manufactured (maybe even on demand) in Germany. I ordered mine from a Web store named Twisted Throttle for $59.99 + $12.95 UPS ground shipping. Click here for a direct link to the product. $72.94 is pretty steep for what comes in the tiny package, but I really could not see behind me very well while riding the ninja - a common complaint.

Installation took less than an hour, and I was going slow, taking pictures the whole time (click here for the photo album).

The instructions were straightforward, but there is one thing printed incorrectly. The instructions suggest using the original hex bolt to attach the mirror to the extender, and use the new hex bolt that came in the kit to attach the extender to the fairing. The hex bolt that came in the kit has a thicker head and would not fit down into the countersink. Swapping the bolts works much better.

I would also suggest taking care when removing the black round stickers that cover the original bolts, as you will want to reuse two of them. The plastic bolt covers that come in the kit only cover the head of the bolt, leaving the other end of the bolts showing unless you resuse your stickers.
Here's a picture of the sticker after being removed:


I only rode around the block after finishing installation. I can absoutely see much better behind me than I could before. I have yet to see if vibration will be a problem at higher speeds.

The product works as intended, and I'm glad this issue can be resolved. Another solution people have suggested is to use the mirrors from a ZX-6R (click here for an example). I planned on adding these after installing the extenders since I like the looks of the mirrors but read they didn't completely resolve the problem of not seeing behind you. Well, they bolt directly to the fairing, bypassing the kit so you can't use the ZX-6R mirrors and the extenders at the same time.

Here's how the extenders look installed:

No comments: